Crew Chief: Ben Vilonen
Hours: Monday – Friday 7 AM – 3:30 PM
Phone: (716) 632-4120
The Department of Public Works is responsible for maintenance of all Village property and infrastructure, including street paving and plowing, storm and sanitary sewers, garbage and recycling of waste, and Village-owned tree maintenance. The department consists of a General Crew Chief, Working Crew Chief, and eight Motor Equipment Operators. The General Crew Chief oversees the department.
Duties Include (click below for more details):
- Garbage and recycling pickup
- Street maintenance
- Storm water collection system
- Sanitary sewer system
- Tree maintenance
- Buildings and grounds
- Village parks
- Community beautification
Garbage and Recycling Pickup
- Modern Corporation is the Williamsville’s residential waste hauler. Below is Modern’s 2019 collection schedule.
- Garbage and Recycling Information Sheet
- Any service complaints should be directed to Modern
- Garden and yard waste is picked up by Modern on regular garbage days April through November. Waste must be placed in paper bags or open containers for pick up before 7:00 a.m. Do not use garbage or recycling tote. Containers may not weigh over 60 lbs.
- Picking up of brush and branches for recycling. Village wide pickup is 2nd and 4th Mondays, March thru October ONLY. Waste must be out on the curb before 7:00 a.m. Pickup November thru February is on Fridays by appointment only, through the Village office.
- Picking up of metal, TV’s and electronics for recycling. Village wide pickup is 2nd and 4th Mondays, March thru October ONLY. Waste must be out on the curb before 7:00 a.m. Pickup November thru February is on Fridays by appointment only, through the Village office.
- Leaf collection. Leaves in the FALL ONLY can be raked up and placed between the curb and sidewalk for pick up. Please do not place leaves in street.
- Collection of refuse from Village parks and property.
- Street sweeping
- Milling and repaving roads with new asphalt
- Patching and cold patching potholes in winter
- Striping of crosswalks and travel lanes
- Traffic control signage along Village streets, such as speed limit, parking, and other regulations
- Snow plowing and removal, salting of roads
Storm Water Collection System
- Monitoring of drainage within the Village
- Repair of existing infrastructure, i.e.: receivers and pipe collection systems
- Installing new drainage
- Preparing annual storm water report for NYSDEC review
- Monitoring and reporting illicit discharges
- Inspection of commercial and residential connections to system per Village code
Sanitary Sewer System
- Monitoring flows within Village limits
- Inspecting and maintaining existing infrastructure
- Cleaning and clearing mains from obstruction
- Televising and reporting findings to NYSDEC for annual permit compliance
- Root cutting within mains
- Repairing manholes, rims, and main line connections
- Inspecting all commercial and residential connections to sanitary sewer system per Village code
- Planting new trees in right-of-way and village parks
- Pruning of limbs
- Stump-grinding service for all residents
Buildings and Grounds
- Maintaining Village Hall, Village Meeting house, Department of Public Works facility
- Maintaining parks – mowing grass, landscaping, public swimming pool at Garrison Park, pavilion and gazebos, tennis courts and playgrounds
- Maintaining flower pots
- Hanging and removing banners
- Hanging holiday decorations