Building, construction, and demolition require a permit. While residents may perform necessary repairs, new additions, garages, decks/porches, fences, sheds, swimming pools, hot tubs, or wood and gas burning stoves require a permit. For more information, contact the Building Department before beginning any construction or demolition project. Please see below for the Building Permit process and corresponding applications.
Residential Building Permits
- Submit the short form permit application and pay associated fees.
- The Building Department will confirm receipt of the application within 48 hours.
- Building Department will review your application in a two week period.
- The Permit will be mailed to the property owner’s address.
Commercial, New Build Residential, & Residential Additions Building Permits
- Submit the long form residential permit OR the commercial building permit, depending on which permit corresponds with the nature of the property.
- The Building Department will confirm receipt of the application within 48 hours and follow-up on the next steps in the process.
- If you have to appear before Historic Preservation Committee, Zoning, or Planning Board, the Building Department should receive your complete permit application 1 month prior to the scheduled meeting.
- If you have to appear before the Planning Board for Architectural & Site Plan review, the Building Department should receive your complete permit application 6 weeks prior to the meeting.
- Once all approvals have been given, the Permit will be mailed to the property owner’s address.
Per the Village Code, if you complete work without a Permit, your fine may be twice the price of the permit and you may have to appear in court.
Below you’ll find all building permits listed by name.
Architectural/Site Plan Review
Some commercial construction may require Architectural and/or Site Plan Review Application depending upon its scope. If you question if this applies to you, be sure to call the building department.
Solar Panel Installation
You are required to file a permit for plumbing projects in the Village of Williamsville.
If you are doing a plumbing project, you might need a Highway Work Permit Form
Request for a Variance
Download a Zoning Board of Appeals Variance Application if you receive direction from the Building Department that you will need a Zoning Variance.
Sign Permit Form– the same form is used for Temporary and Permanent requests
Fuel Burning Appliance Permit
Above ground and in-ground pools require a permit from the Building Department. Pools may be located only in a rear yard, must be at least 4′ from any property line, and at least 10′ from any building structure, or overhead wiring. Appropriate fencing is necessary.
Installation of any new fence or replacement of an existing fence requires a permit. Fences in a rear yard may be no higher than 6 ft. and the good side must face out. In a front yard, fences may be no higher than 3 ft., must be located at least 3 ft. inside the public sidewalk, and must be of open design which permits 80% visibility through it. Existing fences may remain as they are, provided they are not extended or altered in any way.