Building, construction, and demolition require a permit. While residents may perform necessary repairs, new additions, garages, decks/porches, fences, sheds, swimming pools, hot tubs, or wood and gas burning stoves require a permit. For more information, contact the Building Department before beginning any construction or demolition project. Please see below for the Building Permit process and corresponding applications.

Residential Building Permits

  1. Submit the short form permit application and pay associated fees.
  2. The Building Department will confirm receipt of the application within 48 hours.
  3. Building Department will review your application in a two week period.
  4. The Permit will be mailed to the property owner’s address.


Commercial, New Build Residential, & Residential Additions Building PERMITS

  1. Submit the long form residential permit OR the commercial building permit, depending on which permit corresponds with the nature of the property.
  2. The Building Department will confirm receipt of the application within 48 hours and follow-up on the next steps in the process.
  3. If you have to appear before Historic Preservation Committee,  Zoning, or Planning Board, the Building Department should receive your complete permit application 1 month prior to the scheduled meeting.
  4. If you have to appear before the Planning Board for Architectural & Site Plan review, the Building Department should receive your complete permit application 6 weeks prior to the meeting.
  5. Once all approvals have been given, the Permit will be mailed to the property owner’s address.


Per the Village Code, if you complete work without a Permit, your fine may be twice the price of the permit and you may have to appear in court.



Below you’ll find all building permits listed by name.

This page is under construction. Click HERE to access permits on the old website. 

Architectural/Site Plan Review

Some commercial construction may require Architectural and/or Site Plan Review depending upon its scope. Following are our Site Plan Review and Architectural Review Application Forms.

  • Architectural Plan Review Application
  • Site Plan Review Application
  • Planning Board Meeting Schedule

Demolition Permits

  • Demolition Permit Requirements
  • Demolition Permit Application

Sign Permits

  • Download a printable Sign Permit Form
  • Download a printable Temporary Sign Permit Form

Solar Panel Installation

Highway Work

Download a printable Highway Work Permit Form

Request for a Variance

  • Download a printable Zoning Board of Appeals Variance Application
  • Zoning Board Meeting Dates

Special Use Permit

  • Request for Special Use Permit

Fuel Burning Appliance Permit

  • Solid/Gas Fuel Burning Appliance System Certification Statement

Swimming Pools

Above ground and in-ground pools require a permit from the Building Department. Pools may be located only in a rear yard, must be at least 4′ from any property line, and at least 10′ from any building structure, or overhead wiring. Appropriate fencing is necessary.


Installation of any new fence or replacement of an existing fence requires a permit. Fences in a rear yard may be no higher than 6 ft. and the good side must face out. In a front yard, fences may be no higher than 3 ft., must be located at least 3 ft. inside the public sidewalk, and must be of open design which permits 80% visibility through it. Existing fences may remain as they are, provided they are not extended or altered in any way.

Fee Schedules:

  • Building Permit Fee Schedule
  • Plumbing Permit Fee Schedule
  • Plumbing Permit Procedure
  • Plumbing Permit

Note that Seasonal Outdoor Seating requires a Building Permit

  • Download a Seasonal Outdoor Seating Permit Application
  • Fire Prevention & Operating Permit
  • Tent Procedures

Information on various types of construction:

  • Residential Porches and Decks
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces & Gas Appliances
  • Residential Garages
  • Residential New Builds & Additions
  • Residential Roofing & Siding
  • Swimming Pools

Permit Application Forms:

  • Short Form Building Permit Application
  • Long Form Building Permit Application
  • Commercial Building Permit Application
  • Survey Certification Statement
  • Building Construction or Demolition